The ISO was updated yesterday to hopefully fix EFI-boot Installation Failures.
Known Bugs/Issues for 1/1/2019 Update:
- 'Login Window', aka 'lightdm-settings', is left-over from when LightDM was still the DM for Next
- displaymanager.conf has been re-added to the Calamares Installer (caused LightDM Initialisation Failure issues for some users) for SDDM Configuration, but I'm not entirely sure about whether it will work fine for everyone now or not.
- Default Favourites will only display once the menu has been swapped out for an 'Alternative' menu, due to a slightly glitchy value for the default favourites value (don't know what causes it, but looking into it)...
- Some Open With defaults are completely wrong, such as Text Files opening in Okular rather than Kate by default, these will be ironed out near the end of development, most likely
- Potentially more minor niggles
Changelog...? Check the January 2018 Snapshot Announcement Blog Post for that...
Too big an ISO for you? Well... Have a look at the size of Kubuntu 18.04's ISO, for comparison... and then put that on top of the fact that removing XFCE from Xubuntu and installing the Standard Kubuntu KDE Package makes the Xubuntu ISO then made A LOT BIGGER... yeah, Plasma's great for resource usage... just not so great for ISO Size... eh, I'll figure out ISO Size Optimisation closer to the Stable Release of this thing... that's a promise, I will try to make it near to the Feren OS with Cinnamon ISO Size, or 0.1GB bigger than that, at least, by release. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Another new build for experimental ISO of Feren OS is now available, showing the early workings of what Feren OS could be like with the KDE Desktop Environment. Note that what you see in the ISO is NOWHERE near the finished product, with a lot of change planned over time, some of which will potentially make the experience as a whole feel different, and all the ISO is right now is the accumulation of the Default Settings and Experience for KDE being put in the OS. This means that the ISO is nowhere near the final product still. However, with this build, there are some huge changes happening with this build, including:
This also means that the following things are still missing, that aren't mentioned by the WIP Notice on the OS:
There's also a few issues to iron out right now, that may or may not be mentioned in the 'WIP Notice':
Stuff to know:
Lastly, there's EVEN fixes done by me for KDE in Feren OS:
Overall, this ISO is mainly for getting feedback on the current default experience that the ISO gives its users with KDE, as well as showing KDE x Feren OS as it progresses... Check it out. Download link at top.
It's great making something for the community that might become quite big and remain for a very long time to continue serving the community and helping Linux as a result.